Financial Support

There are a number of ways the cost of lessons and musical activities can be supported:


Pupil Premium

If you qualify for Pupil Premium your child’s school may be able to use this money to support their music making. It’s best to contact your child’s school to find out if this is possible. Alternatively, please email


Remittance for families on low incomes

You qualify for a free group lesson at a Music Centre and ensemble membership if you meet the criteria listed below:

  • Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

For more information please visit the website



Support from our charity

Our linked Charity, Friends of Lancashire County Ensembles (FLCE), will be offering bursaries to provide some financial support to young people in Lancashire who show an interest in or talent for music, in situations where their parent or carer’s financial circumstances might not be able to meet the full cost of the activity.  The fund can provide a contribution towards these costs.

Awards are made to young people aged up to their 19th birthday who either live or are educated in the administrative county of Lancashire (excluding Blackpool and Blackburn and Darwen). The funding can be used towards the cost of lessons and musical activities organised by Lancashire Music Service, contribution towards the purchase of musical instruments, contribution towards the cost of an auditions for music courses at university or conservatoire, contribution towards attendance at courses, tours, workshops, concerts or other relevant events or groups, including transport costs.

The application is made by a parents or carer filling in an online form and you will need a teacher or music leader to fill in another form in support of your application. Applications are anonymised and assessed by a panel of FLCE Trustees once per term.

For further information, details of the next deadline and how to apply please email 



Other Organisations offering support

Awards for Young Musicians (AYM) is a UK charity who believe that all musically talented young people should have the opportunity to fulfil their potential, whatever their background. They carefully target their resources to give talented children from lower income families the best possible chance to flourish and grow as musicians. Visit the Awards for Musicians website.

Future Talent is a charity that gives financial support and guidance to young musicians aged between 5 and 18 who are clearly demonstrating outstanding musical ability or potential, but for whatever reason do not have the financial means to reach their goal. They support musicians from all musical genres and awards are given for a variety of purposes including the purchase of instruments, music lessons, fees for specialist training courses and membership to national training ensembles. Visit the Future Talent website.