WCET is designed to complement and support the wider school music curriculum with progress recognised through built-in performance opportunities and an end of year assessment.
Through WCET, your pupils…
- Learn basic instrumental skills
- Develop their musical skills and knowledge, including reading notation
- Play together in an ensemble
- Sing together to support their learning
- Are encouraged to use ICT
- Improvise and compose
- Take part in performances
- Experience different musical styles
“Every child aged 5-18 has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument through whole class ensemble teaching”
(The Importance of Music; A National Plan for Music Education, DfE DCMS)
Lancashire Music Service WCET includes:
- Weekly visit from an instrumental teacher
- Loan of instruments
- Access to Charanga online resources to support teachers and pupils
- Assessment and certificates
- INSET training for class teacher(s) involved
WCET Instrument Options
- Strings (violin, cello, double bass)
- Brass (trumpet, cornet, tenor horn,euphonium, trombone)
- Woodwind ( flute, clarinet, saxophone* )
- Percussion (samba drums, Africandrumming, classroom percussion)
- Guitar and Ukulele
*saxophone from Year 5
What you need to provide:
- A suitable space with access to an interactive whiteboard or screen and projector, linked to a sound system
- The time for the class teacher (or music coordinator) and teaching assistants to support the lessons (WCET cannot be used as PPA cover)
- Storage for the instruments
- Access to WIFI
- Music stands (if required)
Typical delivery pattern is usually 1 hour contact time with 15 minutes planning/set up. There are 38 sessions over the year with a minimum of 34 teaching sessions and any remaining are used for performances, planning and evaluation, checking instruments.
£1487.50 per year (34 weeks) one term option available. Additional weeks £43.75.
Arts Award is a national qualification which develops young peoples’ engagement with the arts and builds their creative and leadership skills. We can support you to integrate Arts Award Discover and Explore into your WCET programme.
See Lancashire Music Service Brochure for further information.
- Key Stage 2: age 7-11
- Key Stage 1: age 5-7