Helping young musicians further their career.
A 130 + year old violin, found rotting in Stanhill Chapel in Oswaldtwistle has now been restored to performance standard with the help of a private donation. The violin, which is featured in photos of the Stanhill Methodist Sermons as far back as 1910, will now be loaned out annually by the church to a young person who wishes to embark on a music career but lacks a suitable instrument to play on.
The applicant will be chosen in partnership with Lancashire Schools Music Service.
• be no older than 19 on 31st August of the year of application
• be playing violin at Grade 6 or above
• studying music at Key Stage 4 or 5
• demonstrate commitment to pursuing musical studies beyond compulsory education
• lack the means to acquire a quality musical instrument
• be resident in Lancashire, Blackpool or Blackburn with Darwen
Initial Video Submission
Applicants are asked to submit by 1st January 2024, an initial 5-minute video of themselves playing violin in slow and faster excerpts from a piece or pieces of music of their choice.
They will also be required to accompany the video with a summary of a maximum of 150 words explaining their reasons for applying. The videos and text must be submitted by email to the following address.
Applicants aged under 18 will require the consent of their parent or guardian to submit the video which will be deleted once assessments are completed.
The applicants may be supported in their application by their parents or guardians, tutors or teachers.
Applications with the video and text should be sent to email@example.com.
Following a review of the entries a shortlist of applicants will be prepared for informal in-person auditions.
The auditions will be held on the 8th February 2024 and involve a brief demonstration performance and an exploration of the applicant’s current experience and aspirations. The panel will then select the successful applicant.
• 01/1/24: deadline for submission of video applications.
• 08/1/24: initial panel assessment of applications.
• 08/2/24: panel auditions Stanhill Methodist Chapel.
• TBC/3/24: Violin and bow presented.
To apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your submission.