What is the LMH Singing Strategy?
The LMH Singing Strategy has been developed by the Hub’s core partners; Lancashire Music Service, More Music and Charanga. It is maintained by LMH Singing Leader and Singing Strategy Coordinator in consultation with the Singing Strategy Group. The Singing Strategy Group is made up of representatives from each of the Hub’s partners, alongside selected Hub Strategic Steering Group members.
The Group meet termly to discuss, feedback and develop the Strategy, with the core aim of ensuring that;
Quality, diverse singing is accessible to
ALL young people in Lancashire
Lancashire Music Hub provides the following in support of singing in Lancashire region:
- Opportunities and appropriate support for; Schools, Teachers and Music Leaders, Young People with Specialist Needs and the regions diverse communities
- Create and signpost pathways for expression and excellence
- Promote the value of singing within Lancashire
- Create and maintain meaningful relationships with our Hub Partners and other appropriate national and regional organisations and projects.
Summary of Core Hub Partners Current Provision
Lancashire Music Service currently offer a variety of types of vocal work in schools;
- Individual and group tuition for KS1-KS5
- Choir and ensemble leadership
- One-off, bespoke 6-week singing projects
- Whole Class Ensemble Tuition (WCET) for KS2 which always carries an integral singing element.
Specific singing support for schools in the form of;
- Specialist singing advice for individual schools following School Music Education Plans (SMEP)
- Training sessions for teachers with a singing focus at Primary and Secondary Network Meetings
- Bespoke training for Curriculum Specialists and Music Leaders
- Sharing best practise and signposting through our Newsletters, Social Media Groups and Hub Website.
Outside of the school setting;
- Music Centre choirs
- Creation of and support for regional ‘Big Sings’
- Extra-curricular singing pathways that provide challenge and progression
For their Staff, Lancashire Music Service offer;
- Regular networking and best practise sharing opportunities
- In-house training, signposting to training opportunities for staff.
More Music currently offer;
- Vocal work in school residencies and one-off workshops
- A vocally-centred early years programme.
- A challenging and exemplary Youth Music programme
- Support for the Lancaster and District Schools Singing Festival
- The Lancashire Youth Vocal Ensemble (LYVE)
- Provision of inclusive vocal programmes for students with Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD)
- One-off Creative Workshops for vocal leaders
Charanga create award-winning Primary music curriculum, Secondary and instrumental music resources for teachers and students, including;
- Digital resources enabling and supporting Primary School singing with 408 schools engaged across the County, resulting in over 15,000 hours of classroom singing during 2017-18.
- Creation and Development of Charanga Sing; a dedicated singing strand within the main site containing guidance on vocal health, singing resources (from Kodaly based activities for Key Stage 1 to challenging multipart ensemble singing for Key Stage 4 and 5), curriculum delivery and Whole Class Ensemble Tuition
Beatbox and Rap Workshops
Beatvox sessions are a great way to get children to engage with vocalisation, when they are more reluctant to get involved with singing. The four sessions also help to promote literacy skills, such as include poetic devices, for example, metaphors and similes; linguistic concepts such as phonetics, fricatives and plosives; and oratory skills, like delivery and confidence.
Charanga VIP Studio Sessions
An online music technology resource that helps teach music production and songwriting in schools
Chorley Big Sing
Started in 2019 The Chorley Big Sing is a partnership between Lancashire Music Hub and The Chorley Schools Sports Partnership.
Early Years Morning/Day Sessions and Programmes
An interactive workshop with this energetic and inspiring group of professional musicians with songs and activities specially designed for Early Years and Foundation Stage and KS1, linked to the Early Music Makers book.
A fantastic opportunity for young vocalists to develop new skills, exploring a wide range of jazz and soul inspired music alongside like minded young singers and under the leadership of professional vocalist and tutor, Debbie Jones.
Lancashire Youth Vocal Ensemble (LYVE)
An exciting opportunity for young vocalists and rappers to sing a creative fusion of musical styles
Lancaster and District Schools Singing Festival (LDSSF)
Established in 1948, the Lancaster and District Schools Singing Festival has been engaging young people in singing across Lancaster and Morecambe and across generations for over 70 years.
LMS Instrumental and Vocal Tuition
We offer your students the chance to learn woodwind, brass, strings, guitar, ukulele, singing, percussion, drums, keyboard and piano* with our experienced and inspiring teachers.
LMS Curriculum Delivery & School Ensembles
Our experienced team, all with Qualified Teacher Status, are specialists in delivering curriculum music in Primary, Secondary, Special and Short Stay Schools, which can be used to cover PPA time.
LMS Lazy Mondays
The Lazy Mondays are a real live band in your school hall, offering practical, creative workshops or interactive concerts. They are an energetic and inspiring group of professional musicians, who are also all experienced teachers with the Music Service. These workshops and concert are perfect for Arts Week, a school party, cross-curricular projects and also encouraging pupils to learn a musical instrument.
LMS One-off Singing Workshops
The benefits of regular singing in schools, both academic and social, are widely recognised. These one-off singing workshops are designed to inspire and encourage your pupils.
LMS Six-week Sing
A weekly, 1-hour visit from a specialist for 6 weeks to kick-start singing in your school, perhaps in the lead-up to a festival or school production. A fantastic experience for pupils but also a great way to give staff more confidence to lead singing. We can work with groups of any size and can either provide appropriate repertoire or work on material provided by your school.
LMS Training and Consultancy
Lancashire Music Service provide bespoke support, designed to meet the needs of your individual school and staff including developing a scheme of work, assessment, using classroom instruments and school singing.
Primary Online Resources
Singing and Choirs Workshops
These workshops are great for helping classes or big groups come together in this feel-good activity. It’s perfect for developing literacy and can be linked to other areas of the curriculum.
These half-day to full day workshops are aimed at all types of classes.